20 January, 2017

radio

while driving today i turned the radio on to my usual station (NPR, no surprise there) only to be greeted by the unctuous voice of the incoming commender-in-cheeto. i quickly smacked the off button and resigned myself to radio silence. if the united states has gone mad and i have to live here, i refuse to be exposed to the mouth-breathing diatribes of the millionaire vulgarian any more than necessary. when his voice graces ALL the radio waves and the secret police knock on my door, only then will i "voluntarily" turn my eardrums to what comes out of his tiny cat's anus of a mouth. enough about that.

*shudder*

searching through the airwaves for something else to listen to, i realised that the smorgasbord of radio stations around houston is really rather limited. what you have is this, in descending order of frequency:

1. the jesus stations. these occasionally play music that initially seems normal, but i have developed a hypersensitivity to content: i can scent "our lord and saviour" in 3 seconds or less.

2. the spanish stations. no problem with these, but there's only so much mexican polka music that i can listen to before i throw in my sombrero.

3. country. no, just no.

4. classic rock. not my kettle of fish. never was a fan, never will be. will stop on occasion when something nostalgic comes on.

5. rap. i'm not dismissive of rap as a whole - while i might not appreciate all of it, i don't make the mistake of an old person hollering, THAT'S NOT REAL MUSIC! and HEY, YOU KIDS, GET OFFA MY LAWN!!!  however, i'm not a fan of this particular sub-genre (don't ask me what it is, but it seems... i dunno... extra rappy?)

5. 80's music. when it's the stuff i love, it's great; when it's the stuff i hate, it's another channel i get to skip. seems about 30/70 not in my favour.

6. NPR, my beloved public radio. sadly, all too often of late they talk politics and my tolerance is low. i keep waiting for the secret police to shut them down. that day might be coming soon. i don't know. i don't wanna think about it.

when i do turn the radio on, i drive nervously jumping from station to station, knowing the pay-off is limited and unlikely, but hope keeps me alive.


EDITOR'S NOTE:
oops! i totally forgot the ubiquitous pop music station, brought to you by anonymous hook-ups,  a growing lack of respect for a solid arts education, and autotune!





4 comments:

Zhoen said...

KRCL.org can be streamed, if you have the necessary device.

We just found a new station here http://www.1031thewave.com

I think there are other npr affiliated stations that stream, so you can hear non-turmip shows. I rather like the cbc's Q.

Tom said...

Can't hear "classical" music any more, as my hearing is shot. Why would I try to listen to anything else? So this old grump has a certain sympathy for your predicament.

Geneviève Goggin said...

Time to plug your phone into the car and listen to stuff you like!

polish chick said...

zhoen - no problem at home, and in the car it's more an annoyance than anything else.

tom - i feel sorry for my dad. having travelled extensively across the us with my parents, i know that he compulsively searches for classical music on the car radio. not gonna find any here, that's for sure!

g - i do occasionally, though since i switched phones i haven't yet filled this one up with music or podcasts.