09 December, 2015

say CHEESE!!!

we're running around at breakneck speed mainly because there's so much to do, but also because mr. monkey knows this place inside and out, including all modes of public transit despite having left in 1988. on a recent trip to resuscitate his phone from a near drowning incident, we jumped from bus to metro to tram to another tram to...well, i sort of lost count. on another day, we went hither and thither, doing this and that, the holy grail of a hot meal and some reasonably priced sheepskins shining before us. we were both sick, bleary-eyed and congested, leaving the house only because it was absolutely necessary. i hadn't bathed, put on make-up, or even combed my hair that day and the weather necessitated a wooly hat so i was not at my best when, mid-run through the metro tunnels, mr. monkey suddenly turned into a wee shop that took passport photos and bade me sit in front of the camera.  granted, i'm not one who takes hours on my personal groomage, but when being recorded for posterity i prefer to be given enough of a heads up to at least run my fingers through my hair and slap on a bit of lipstick. the elderly couple who ran the shop were adorably supportive of my crankiness, and the man did his magic with photoshop (though he refused to sharpen, smoothen, smallify, and biggify appropriate facial bits). alas, age does its thing twofold: it makes me care less, and it makes me see less, both of which combine to make me find myself as good looking as i would like to be...most of the time.

but back to the various sheep products, which i mentioned merely in passing, but which ought to have been serenaded with an ode at the very least! walking down a side street the other day we passed a table laden with slippers, hats, cheese, and skins, all of sheepish provenance. turns out this is the exact same seller from whom i procured my wooly slipper socks that i wear to this day and his pile of sheepskins offered up for sale made me swoon a little. there were white sheeps! there were cream sheeps! there was a very large and fat beige and grey sheep! a long-haired pure white and a perfectly skunk-coloured icelandic sheeps! we were merely passing by, but the wanting burned deep within me until the day we returned and bought ourselves three sheeps. the prices were seriously good, and the cheeses even better! we bought (or were given to sweeten the deal) several of the smoked polish sheeps cheeses that are shaped vaguely like footballs but far more tasty:


they are salty, slightly squeaky, and quite delightful. we walked away with a couple kinds, and this marvel of cheesemaking technology that made me want to weep with joy:


i'm sure you've seen string cheese in supermarkets. this is nothing like it. this is what string cheese aspires to be and fails: the perfect beer snack, the perfect portable food, the perfect THING. i couldn't stop eating them until they were gone.

and since i've shown you the cheese, let me also show you the skins. this here is skunky (not actual skunky, but close enough as makes no difference):


this is fabio (again, not the actual fabio but an internet lookalike). note the long flowing locks through which i will run my fingers:


vaclav the grey is my last purchase and is simply a very large, beige-grey sheep, who's known a lot of love in his life, i'm sure of it. there's no photo on the interwebs that'll do him justice, so you'll have to make do with my craptastic camera shot:


and so, after a day of much adventuring in the hinterlands, we gathered up our sheeps, we headed home. that's that in a nutshell.

2 comments:

Zhoen said...

Oooooooooh! SHeepies!

Joan said...

You know someone that adores and collects sheeps! She also has size 7 1/2 feet and loves soft wool-y sheep products of any kind! Need I hint more?