18 November, 2015

cognition? what cognition?!

today, over breakfast with a new acquaintance, i forgot how old i am. not the forgivable lapse that usually takes place a month or two after one's birthday but a serious confusion that had me adding and subtracting* my birth year (thank god i still remember that) and the current year (that bastard keeps changing, but so far i'm keeping up). i blame the fact that last year i was 42, a number deeply imbued with meaning. 43, on the other hand, well, that's just the number that comes after 42. 43 isn't bad as far as my synesthesia goes but it comes across as a bit anticlimactic. still, i ought to know my own age, non?


* god knows, nothing good has ever come of that.


7 comments:

Lucy said...

I'm a little more concerned about your having breakfast with a new acquaintance, especially the possibility that you might have forgotten who they were and how you came to be having breakfast with them.

Tom said...

I'd love to make an apposite comment, if I could think of something to say. In any case I have a few recipes to write out for a sweet young chick of my acquaintance. :)

polish chick said...

tom - thank you in advance for the recipes!

lucy - thank god it wasn't breakfast in bed!

Zhoen said...

42, the last year one is sure how old one is.

Sounds familiar.

polish chick said...

zhoen - oh noes! it's the end, innit? when i was told my sight would go at 40, i scoffed. oh, how i miss my sight. i really had higher hopes for my brain.

Zhoen said...

Meh, 60 is the new 40, so I hear. Just can't keep track of the numbers anymore.

Geneviève Goggin said...

That happened to me this year too! In my case I accidentally added a year to my age. So I was at once pleased to realize that I had gained a year and alarmed that I could not remember my own age.