14 December, 2013

baby therapy

spent the evening with my two nieces. before the birth of the first one, i don't think i really knew how much one could love a little human that didn't really say all that much or contribute anything other than various bodily fluids oozing out all over the place.  but man, to see the joy on the face of my oldest niece (3.5 years) when she realises it's me at the door, it's the very best kind of heart break. the kind that breaks you open to all the good things in the world.

tossed her in the air a few times. twirled her around until i fell down (the drama was only partly pretend - in my day-to-day adult life i really rarely twirl). hugged, tickled, kissed, drew pictures, played with blocks - all the most wonderful stuff.

then, when the youngest (14mo) refused to sleep because, hey! everyone else is having a party downstairs, i held her in my lap, fed her watermelon, tickled her feet, rubbed her belly and let her do her magic thing (this kid sucks the bad mojo out of anyone - even me! they could make a tonne of money on her on the mental health circuit!).

man, i love my babies… life is suddenly so much better, and it's been pretty damn good for a good longish while.

2 comments:

Geneviève Goggin said...

Aw, so sweet. Enjoy your time with family and say hi to Mr. Monkey and to the munchkins' dad.

Tom said...

I'm happy for you.