02 November, 2013

the life cycles of bromeliads

i drove to calgary today instead of tomorrow. the whole point was to get here ahead of the massive snowstorm that was on its way. instead, i drove through the damn snowstorm. i spent the last several hours watching the fluffiest of television shows, waiting for the time to be right to venture out into the snow, to a pub-party. is this a good idea? likely not. i could conceivably die somewhere in a snowdrift, lulled into a restful slumber by the music on my phone. more likely is the scenario wherein i drink too much. alas, had i stayed home, i would have gone to a family gathering where the wine was just as likely to flow freely. still, at home, i would have been surrounded by friends. here, it will be strangers. and because of my perpetual fear of stranger-danger, the threat of drinking is higher. i drink to muffle the fear. i drink to get over the discomfort. i drink to shift from 50% introvert to 50% extrovert. it tends to work. and then i pay the next day. still, it'd be nice to get out of the house.

have a lovely saturday night, my bromeliads. 

5 comments:

Tom said...

Be careful, in all sorts of ways.

polish chick said...

tom, i was *so* careful that i stayed home, had a nice hot bath and read a book. doesn't get any more careful...although i suppose one could always slip in the tub.

it's perfectly nasty out there, with 20cm of freshly fallen snow, so while going out was tempting, when i found out my friend wasn't getting there until 10pm i realised the hike through the arctic tundra would not be worth it.

Geneviève Goggin said...

I would have done the same. Leaving the house is over-rated. That said, off I go to yoga. After that I must do something outside. It is warm and sunny, and because this is November in Vancouver it is imperative that I spend time outside before the rain returns. I hope you had a nice time reading and didn't feel guilty about the school work. Guilt is such a useless emotion.

polish chick said...

guilt is useless, but i need something to motivate myself, and at this point all i have is guilt.

Geneviève Goggin said...

Do I ever hear you! Sometimes guilt helps get the job done but unfortunately I often feel guilt at the most unproductive times. If I'm reading a book and there is something to clean in the house, then I feel guilty. Problem is, there's ALWAYS something to clean in the house. Stupid brain.