02 June, 2013

'tis cold in sweden

friday night, a small but shiny bunch of us gathered to partake of pizza, alcohol and conversation, and lo, it was good. talk turned to the different types of cold* and ways of coping. i told the story of leaving a -40ºC canadian winter and flying into a -1ºC polish winter and freezing my nuts off.

moi: this is why i bought a shearling there, and it was the only thing that managed to keep me warm in a measly -1ºC! and now when it hits -30ºC in edmonton, i wear it and am warm.

mister p: shearling... isn't that what the ikea monkey was wearing?




*if you think there is no difference between a dry cold and a wet cold, don't even bother commenting, because you know NOTHING.

4 comments:

Tom said...

Hullo PC: Mmmmmm! For me it's the difference between wrapping a blanket around me and my thick sweater in a damp, north western French 5 deg.C, and stripping off all my winter clothing in a dry, north German -15 deg.C.

Never been to those other places you mention which do sound most exceedingly cold.

the polish chick said...

tom, it's exactly that difference. people quake in their boots when they hear it's -20ºC here for a big chunk of winter, but as long as you cover up the bits that can fall off through extended exposure, you're fine. it's ridiculously dry here!

when i went to visit my parents in damp ontario, however, i could never get warm and my clothes and bedding felt cold and wet which is not a pleasant sensation.

Zhoen said...

Dew point. All about dew point.

Same with heat, lived with 100˚F + (37C) weather in high, dry desert, and it's really tolerable. 80˚F (26C) in humid Boston is the definition of misery for me.


Alison Cross said...

We have wet. Wet and cold. But today is GLORIOUS!!!! Almost like summer *whispers so that the Weather Gods don't hear me*

I haz a shearling jacket too. I look like a viking in mine :-D