- am i the only one who's sick and tired of summer homes in ibiza* being featured on nearly every design blog recently? i, for one, am ready to see some chic albanian villas.
- so there's that. also, we were in portugal for 3 weeks, came back 3 weeks ago and i did not blog a single thing about the trip on account of my difficulty with blogging about actual things that are actually happening, as opposed to all the exciting things that take place only in my head. so, let's get this over with: portugal was gorgeous, its people lovely and warm, it was more picturesque than a basketful of kittens which can get annoying after a while, but not as picturesque as i imagine naples or paris might be (pure conjecture, yes) but make of that what you will, perhaps it's a good thing, perhaps i need to get out more, or, more likely, i need to lay off the booze, which (to make this sentence even longer and more convoluted because, hey, so far there are no laws against that, except of course the laws of grammar but seeing as the vast majority of the english speaking part of the world ignores most of them anyways as evidenced by the ubiquitous painfully thoughtless, poorly constructed and spectacularly misspelled status updates on facebook, i will just jump through that loophole and carry on as if nothing happened (why? what happened?)**) was ridiculously cheap, plentiful and bloody delicious in portugal. if you were asking me whether i'd recommend portugal as a holiday destination, i'd say, yea, verily, go, but stay the hell away from algarve which is very much like florida on spring break but with drunken british accents instead of american, and which is a poster child for rampant, uncontrolled and butt-ugly development that does not in any way take into consideration the historical charm or geographical attributes of the land. go to the west coast instead and you'll feel like you're in portugal instead of the
redneck rivieraflorida panhandle.
- to share our photos i just made y'all a link in the sidebar (kippered pics 2) where you can access the basketful-of-kittens level of portuguese picturesqueosity at your leisure***. can i stop talking about this now? there's some really weird dynamic here that makes me seriously uncomfortable blogging about reality. thank christ there's so much excitement happening in my brain. but i won't write about it because it's late and i'm tired and i'm cranky.
- we just got back from seeing "to rome with love"and may i just say, woody, i'm on to you! you just keep making the same film over and over again and it's getting OLD, just like your neuroses and your khaki chinos. we should've gone to see "take this waltz" instead. sarah polley is not yet a one trick pony.
- chinese food is most emphatically not the same as korean food, which is very different from vietnamese food, which is not at all similar to thai food. if i hear one more person calling a vietnamese restaurant chinese and then saying that it doesn't matter, i'll have to resort to violence. i take my ethnic gastronomy very seriously, y'all, don't make me come down hard on yo ass.
- hormonal fluctuations can go to hell. i'd refuse to participate but my body continues to betray me.
- and as far as corporeal betrayal goes, i have just gotten my very first pair of glasses. so far they are only necessary for reading the backs of wine bottles in the summer twilight, but soon i shall fall off the edge and careen wildly down the path towards blindness, decrepitude, incontinence and death. my eye doctor says i have 2-3 years left before we get into serious reading glasses (and the prerequisite grandma perm that seems to come with) so let's get that seeing-eye cabaña boy in training, shall we?
- inexplicably, the air is starting to smell like tequila;**** i think it's time to go to bed.
*it doesn't help that i seem chronically unable to see the word "ibiza" without hearing it in my head with that annoying lisp.
**if you noticed internal inconsistencies in this sentence, you have my heartfelt congratulations for having the intellectual wherewithal to find your way through the maze of my thinking which is something i am increasingly unable to manage. (hello grad school, hope we have fun together.)
*** warning: shitload of pictures (edited down from the 4000 i took).
**** i 'm drinking a glass of red wine, just so you don't get any ideas.