25 October, 2010

the old soap trick

while watching a disturbing scene on twin peaks* last night wherein a man put a bar of soap in a sock, in preparation for beating his wife:

mr. monkey: you watch out, woman! i've just gotten my inspiration! you misbehave and i'll put soap in a sock, too!

moi: ...

mr. monkey: ...except i'll use liquid soap.




*yes, i realise i am the only person of my generation who did not watch it when it came out due, most likely, to some ridiculous born-again-christian** qualms.

**yes, i do realise it's hard to believe. still, it's true.

5 comments:

puncturedbicycle said...

No, you're not the only one! I never saw it either. I think I saw a bit of it once and it didn't really grab me. At some stage, I did have the music though. In the early to mid 90s I reckon every restaurant in London was playing either the music from Twin Peaks or the Gypsy Kings. (Well, maybe not the fancy restaurants, but the studenty dives I frequented.)

Country Gent said...

I used to love watching that. In fact, I had a very big thing for Sherilynn Fenn. And the log lady.

Anonymous said...

I've never watched it either. But I did listen to a lot of Gypsy Kings. I hope you guys are watching Glee. It's a hoot! G

Lucy said...

No, I didn't watch it either. I remember the music and the picture of the dead girl under the water. I think I thought once I'd missed the first one I probably wouldn't understand it anyway.

the polish chick said...

to all of you who missed watching it: i would recommend it. it has some quiet comic moments, slow and gentle pacing, and a self-deprecating feel. also, kyle mclachlan's agent cooper is such a delicious oddball, he makes the show for me.