28 September, 2010

yo mama!

tomorrow is d-day - the day the mother-in-law arrives. when i mentioned this at work, the first question that fell was whether she'd white glove my house. i suppose there is a preset map that a relationship between a mother-in-law and a daughter-in-law tends to follow: white gloving with disapproval the perpetually sloppy home of the woman who, surely, is making her darling boy's life a living hell, or at least a far-less-than-favourable version of the kind of love mama used to give.

well, either i am extremely lucky, or my big scary mouth takes care of me. i suspect it's a little bit of both. my mother-in-law, despite being very close to her son, relinquished him into my care with precious little spillage of blood. in fact, any war wounds would have been hers as i tend to be a mouthy, opinionated and sometimes mean person, while she is shy, quiet and insecure. the take-over was accomplished fairly peaceably and rather than lamenting the loss of her baby boy, she made sure to embrace me as one more daughter.

being a classic polish mama, she (like my own mother) is a great and prolific cook, and from day one she always made sure to accommodate whatever dietary limitations i imposed upon her (8 years of no meat, an eternity without raisins).

it sometimes makes me sad to realise that she fears me a little and even occasionally looks to me in culinary matters in a way that should be reversed - i am, after all, the younger, far less experienced cook. still, when i think of the classic rivalry between daughters-in-law and mothers-in-law, i am thankful that nobody's going to be white gloving my home...which doesn't mean i won't be dusting the baseboards*. just in case.


*and vacuuming up the fruit flies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make sure she does lots of cooking. My mom will be coming in November but she will certainly not be doing any cooking. And thank goodness for that. Have a nice visit.
G

Lucy said...

I think if I were your mother-in-law I'd be scared of you too. Do you eat any dried fruit?

I find visitors are quite useful in that they make me do at least some housework. We have a German friend who is notorious because everyone cleans their house properly before she comes.

Have a nice time.

Alison Cross said...

my MIL was a lovely lady who was just relieved that I wasn't a Brazilian Pole Dancer and she happily relinquished her son to my tender care.

My house is a bloody bomb site. Not so much as white gloved, white-coated may be more appropriate for me. Possibly even a breathing mask...

the polish chick said...

@g, make my guest cook? NEVER! i am shocked and appalled and i know you were only kidding...i hope.

@lucy, i do eat dried fruit of all kinds but as you're new to these here pages i must fill you in: polish people put pre-soaked raisins in practically every single thing they bake (as you well know, poland is not famous for its vast vineyards, so i blame the eastern invaders of yesteryear) and i have gagged on them my whole life. i will eat them chocolate-covered but that's it. i despise eating a perfectly delicious yeast cake and suddenly biting into a squelching bit of drowned fly carcass. i know that's harsh but that's how my body reacts.

also, could i possibly borrow your german friend? she might inspire me to go at the toilet base with a toothbrush and finally get it spotless.

@ali, come on, what mother wouldn't want their baby boy to spend his adult life in the arms of a brazilian pole dancer...or a pole with a brazillian wax?....kidding, ouch.
my house is always reasonably neat because i am both anal and get my chi in a knot over disorder. the only things that i do need to get motivated to do are those annoying floors and baseboards.