08 March, 2010

let's clarify shit

just so you know, and i have to make this perfectly clear, i am not, nor have i ever been, depressed on account of getting older. i think getting depressed because of the increasing number of years under one's belt is undignified and stupid, because (and you're going to find this shocking) EVERYONE is getting older. every single last one.

i have always found it silly not to admit one's age, like it's something to be ashamed of. i hate being told "oh, you're so young!" by women older than me in a tone that suggests they'd like to poke me with a sharp stick for the sin of being younger than they are.

i admit one has every right to complain about age-related illnesses and annoyances, like aching joints and loss of vision, but whining about getting older seems so very counterproductive.

i hate the loss of minutes and the waste of years i feel i've been passively engaging in for the last half decade or so, but it has nothing to do with my age, and everything to do with my personality, which could do with a light but thorough thrashing.

are we clear now? good.

3 comments:

Geneviève said...

Hello my kindred spirit. Why is the glass always have empty? Why are there always greener pastures? And all that other crap.
g

the polish chick said...

is this aimed at you or me?

of course, i tend to keep my glass fully full, but that's an unrelated problem.

Sue said...

Those who are not getting older right this moment, are dead. I'd rather be getting older.