21 January, 2007

easy on the cheese, please!

first of all, i'd like to thank my readers for the overwhelming response to my request for book recommendations. i must assume, given the skimpy (nonexistent?) outpouring of literary recommendations, that the only reading you do is my blog. and that, my friends, is a shame.

second of all, i will not rehash the "lost blog" because it is obviously lost for a reason. the reason being that god, or whatever higher power runs things these days, does not want you to know about my drinking history and my new year's sort-of-resolutions. if i've whetted your appetite and you wish to know more, too bad. lost is lost and besides, i asked for book titles and got nothing so a big fat raspberry to you.

am i mean? yeah. maybe a little bit. but not as bad as a franco nationalist. and i really mean it: go see pan's labyrinth, but i recommend only a light supper prior to watching. and bring a teddy bear. and do not go alone. human beings suck. but then, i already knew that...

other than that, mister monkey is sick. i start to feel all maternal whenever he gets sick and i make my killer tea. this is predominantly ginger based, with lots of cloves, cinnamon, honey and lemons thrown in for good measure, and it will sweat the fever right out of you. this time i also added home made raspberry preserves because apparently that's some good anti-sick shit too. if you're feeling under the weather, let me know and i'll come over and cook you some killer tea. (right after you recommend a good book.)

4 comments:

Pitur said...

Pan's Labirynth was a great movie, despite all the face sawing and all. I too recommend it.

Anne said...

Okay, okay.

How about:
- The Blind Assassin, Margaret Atwood (who once stood on my Canadian lit. profs hand in a bookstore)

or

- The Shipping News, E. Annie Proulx

or...

[[continued by Joost]]

- The Wind in the Willows, really great book for children, but actually really nice for (almost) adults as well.

- A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, a book about well, really nearly everything. Popular Science at its best.

- Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts, the amazing and true autobiographical story of an Australian criminal who escapes from prison and flees to Bombay,
where he has to pick up his life again in all sorts of creative ways. (Slum doctor, bollywood moviestar, underground hitman etc.)
Gives some interesting insights in Indian culture....

I don't know if these are to your taste, but I thought I'd give it a try.

Best wishes from Delft!

aga, a large slavic woman said...

thanks! i read the blind assasin and really enjoyed it. i enjoy pretty much all margaret atwood. shipping news was fantastic once i got over my hatred of the main character for his weakness in the first few chapters. and thanks for all the rest.

Anonymous said...

Me again. :-)

I must conclude that you like the same type of novels as I do, but don't regularly venture into the literary territory of Joost's eclectic taste. Interesting, although perhaps not surprising.

I haven't read the Bryson book, but it comes with the extra recommendation that my mom, who is a humanities-person like you and I, loved it too. (I have only read some of his travel books, which are funny but repetitive. But this one is on my --loooong-- 'to read'-list).

Oh, if you're into something very weird --i.e., heavily postmodernist-- try "Nights at the Circus" by Angela Carter or "The New York Trilogy" by Paul Auster. (they were my favourites from a postmodernist course once)

Well, I should get back to work....

Best,

Anne